Let’s face it, we don’t always hear words off-road and Lexus in one sentence, but when we do, we know exactly this is something crazy. Stock Lexus GX470 off road capabilities are pretty remarkable but this rig was fully loaded with off-road modifications and built to be driven hard on any type of terrain whether it’s a high-speed desert chase or a tough rocky trail.
Ther’s actually nothing wrong with converting a Lexus GX470 in an off-road vehicle because its actually an American twin brother of one of the most legit 4×4 vehicles in the automotive history – Toyota Land Cruiser. Aside from fancy front end and luxurious options, it’s a real Land Cruiser with an insane off-road capability that has a lot of common features with Land Cruiser Prado 120.
This 2006 lifted Lexus GX470 is owned by Josh Backes was purchased bone stock and has gone through some serious changes during the last year. It wasn’t the first off-road vehicle that belonged to Josh, so he already had the vision and experience needed to build a rig like this. His fully built Toyota FJ-Cruiser was totaled in an accident so Josh decided to upgrade and join GX family. All interchangeable parts were carried over from the FJ to GX470, however, there still was a lot of things that needed to be replaced with new custom fit components. Below is the full list of modifications done to the vehicle:
- Total Chaos +3.5″ Race Series Long Travel Kit
- Total Chaos Secondary Shock Hoop kit
- King 2.5″ Coilovers (600 lb springs) with Compression Adjusters
- King 2.5″ Triple bypass secondary shocks with piggyback reservoirs
- King 3.0″ Rear shocks with Compression Adjusters, lengthened 2″ over OEM with custom rear mounted 2.5″ OD Resi’s
- Timbren Rear progressive bump stops
- Toytec lower rear arms
- Extended brake lines
- Southern Style Offroad rear coil conversion kit
- TJM XGS rear coil springs
- Demello Offroad custom GX470 plate steel bumper, to fit McQueen Fiberglass +3 Fenders
- Mean Mother 9500 Edge Series Winch, with Dyneema SK-75 fiber rope
- Demello Off-Road 4th Gen 4Runner Hybrid Sliders
- Rocksteady Motorsports Aluminum underbody skids
- Southern Style Offroad rear plate bumper, with tire carrier, fuel can holder and custom TRED Pro Recovery ramp holder
POWER TRAIN / DRIVE TRAIN
- Nitro 4.56 master gear kit
- Harrop E-Lockers Front and Rear w/ OEM style switches
- aFe Intake with Pro Guard 7 Filter
- Xforce custom 3″ cat-back with Varex muffler
BODY & COSMETIC
- McQueen Prototype Design Fiberglass Front Fenders *This truck was used as the prototype vehicle, so these are the first ones in existence.
- Body Mount Chop
- Baja Designs Sport Series “Wide cornering” bumper lights
- Factor 55 Pink Thimble
WHEELS & TIRES
- Walker Evans Racing Beadlocks, custom powder coated gloss gold
- Maxxis Razr M/T Tires 35 x 12.5 x 17
- Pro Eagle OffRoad Fridge Freezer
- Mean Mother Kit9 Recovery kit, and ACA3 Compressor
- Pro Eagle Off-Road Jack
- Interior Storage Solutions for the rear of the truck
- Currie FF 9″ Rear end, with ARB/Eaton Locker. TBD.
- Currie Anti-rock rear sway bar (big maybe)
Lexus GX470 off road capabilities were boosted up to the maximum in this project which turned it into an ultimate 4×4 weapon. It’s no wonder that with such an impressive list of modifications Josh has got his GX on display as a feature vehicle at 2017 SEMA Show. You can find him on IG under the username Nver2nd to find out more about this insane GX. View the full gallery of lifted Lexus GX470 here.